1. This agreement is a legally binding contract between you hereinafter called 'the hirer' or the authorised representative of the firm, company or organisation hiring or driving the vehicle and us, hereinafter called the 'lessor' Roberts Transport Self Drive Hire Limited as the person signing the rental agreement herein called the 'contract', you confirm that you agree to and are bound by the terms and conditions, any disputes concerning the contract shall be resolved in accordance with the jurisdiction of the territory in which this agreement was issued.
2. If you have indicated that you require us to provide self-drive hire insurance you must:
a. Answer the relevant questions overleaf or on the additional drivers form truthfully and provide all necessary documentation required.
b. Read and agree to the terms and conditions of our policy of which can been seen at our office.
c. The vehicle may only be driven by those declared as drivers at time of collection, additional drivers can only be added after signing additional paperwork and supplying qualifying documents and we have accepted it - any persons found to be driving without our acknowledgement will be reported to the police for motor theft and driving without insurance, this contract will also be terminated with immediate effect.
d. Our insurance does not give you complete cover, the hirer is responsible for the excess, in the event of more than one claim you agree to pay more than one excess, and the excess is located overleaf or displayed in our office.
e. The hirer shall compensate the lessor in full on demand for any loss it suffers as a result of any damage, fire or theft to or of the vehicle, including loss of revenue for the period during which the vehicle shall remain unavailable for rental, this is not covered under the insurance.
f. Our insurance will not cover your goods
g. Our insurance does not cover damage to the interior of the vehicle, any damage sustained is the responsibility of the hirer and all damages will be charged for.
h. Our insurance does not cover damage caused to the roof of the vehicle, any damage sustained is the responsibility of the hirer and all damages will be charged for.
3. If you have indicated that you wish to provide your own insurance you must:
a. The Hirer must Insure the vehicle on a fully comprehensive policy using a reputable company prior to collection and accept no responsibility for additional costs incurred.
b. Should your insurance policy fail to cover the vehicle by any form or for any reason you the hirer agree to indemnify the lessor against all claims, liabilities, losses and damage or expenses that the hirer may incur from any breach of this agreement.
c. The lessor will supply the vehicle information to you the hirer no less than 24 hours before commencement of your hire.
d. You must provide the lessor with the certificate of insurance or cover note before the vehicle is released into your custody.
e. It is your responsibility to ensure the vehicle is insured to its correct market value and usage from the start of hire and is kept running until it is returned to us.
f. The vehicle must be insured to its full market value against loss or damage (including windscreen) by accident, fire or theft under a comprehensive policy.
g. You must supply the lessor with the complete policy certificate before you can drive the vehicle.
h. You must authorise your insurer to communicate direct with us and to supply us with any information we require. You also authorise us to manage any claim which you may have which relates to our vehicle.
i. If for any reason the amount which we receive from the insurance company is less than the loss that we suffer you must pay the difference.
4. The maximum period for which you are allowed to keep the vehicle is stated overleaf, however;
a. We reserve the right to terminate this contract if you break any of the conditions set out within this contract, and you must return the vehicle immediately.
b. We are entitled to recall the vehicle earlier than the due back date without reason, even if you have not broken any of the terms and conditions, but we must then provide you with a comparable vehicle.
c. We reserve the right to terminate any contract without reason with 30 days written notice.
5. If you keep the vehicle longer than the dates stated overleaf without permission you agree to pay all additional costs and losses we may incur as a result.
6. We are not liable to you for any loss or damage to any property which is carried in the vehicle and we do not accept responsibility for any property you may leave in the vehicle when you return it. If a 3rd party brings a claim against us for property which is carried or left in the vehicle you must indemnify us for that claim.
7. The vehicle must not:
a. Be not be taken outside of England, Wales or Scotland
b. Be used only on the public highway, any damage sustained from being driven off road will be charged direct to the hirer.
c. Be used to tow, unless you have written permission.
d. Be used to carry passengers for hire and reward or driving tuitions unless you have written consent from us and have provided your own insurance to cover.
e. Be used in such way as to make the insurance invalid.
f. Be used in any unlawful manor, or for racing or competitions.
g. Be overloaded or carrying more passengers or goods that it was designed for.
h. Be used by any persons who is not licensed or insured.
. Be used by any persons who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
j. Be used in the event of any mechanical or structural failure.
k. Be altered or added to in any way.
8. You the hirer must:
a. Pay the hire charges as published rate, unless you have an agreed rate in writing.
b. Pay for all fuel and associated costs, failing to refuel the vehicle on return is charged at current pump prices plus 20%.
c. Pay for any accessories, tyres, tools or equipment which are lost, stolen or damaged.
d. Pay costs of recovering the vehicle in an event where you fail to return the vehicle.
e. Pay any penalties or fines before the vehicle is returned to us - in the event of receiving a PCN (penalty charge notice) you agree to pay an administration fee.
f. Ensure all fluid levels are maintained and topped up where necessary throughout your period of hire, any damage caused as a direct result of negligence will be payable by the hirer.
g. Ensure the tyre pressures are checked and maintained throughout your period of hire, any damage caused as a direct result of negligence will be payable by the hirer.
h. Ensure that the vehicle is always locked the keys are removed from the ignition whenever left unattended and reasonable actions are taken to prevent loss or damage to the vehicle, tyres, tools, or accessories.
i. Inform us immediately if the vehicle is damaged, lost or stolen or requires any service measures or faults and allow us to carry our essential repairs and maintenance. Failure to do so could result in additional costs.
j. Ensure you have gathered all details as per the accident report at an event of an accident.
k. Return the vehicle and accessories to a member of our staff to the office of collection during business hours at the dates/times agreed overleaf.
l. The vehicle must be returned in the same condition as when the hirer took control of the vehicle (see signed check sheet)
m. The vehicle must be returned in a clean and tidy condition. Valet charges will be applied for any vehicle being returned in an unreasonable condition or have had pets or been smoked in.
9. You are not allowed to carry out any repairs to the vehicle if the cost of those repairs more than £30, unless you have written permission first - if we do so then we will refund costs once an invoice has been submitted, the invoice by the repairer must also be supplied. We will not cover anything above the invoice value.
10. The lessors agrees to:
a. To hire a vehicle which is in a roadworthy condition
b. Repair the vehicle in the event of a breakdown or mechanical failure, where necessary and availability prevails we will provide you with an alternative vehicle of similar type to allow the hire to continue, if repair is not possible the hirer shall be allowed to terminate the agreement.
11. The lessor reserves the right to terminate this agreement and any subsidiary contracts:
a. If any information supplied by the hirer is found to be false.
b. If following an accident the hirer was found to be at fault.
c. If the lessor has reasonable grounds to believe the hirer is to become or has become insolvent.