Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What documents will I need to bring with me when hiring a vehicle from you?

You are required to bring your card or paper driving license which you should have held for a minimum of 24 months. We will also require two other forms of identification. We recommend you bring either a recent utility bill, bank statement, or an official letter showing your current address (all must be under three months old). Please note we cannot accept a passport as a primary form of identification.

What you need to hire from us?

Drivers Licence - National Insurance Number - 2 further forms of identification i.e. utility Bill/Bank Statement etc. (not mobile phone bill) – the address MUST match that on the driver’s license. Credit or debit card – Due to insurance regulation we cannot accept cash or cheques as form of payment or deposit.

How old do I have to be to hire a vehicle?

To hire a vehicle from us you will need to be between the ages of 25 and 69 years old having held a full driving license for at least two years. It may be possible to insure drivers outside of the stated age’s restrictions, please contact the rentals desk for more information.

What happens if my rental vehicle breaks down?

In the unlikely event of a breakdown, all our vehicles are covered by our The AA breakdown policy. A 24-hour emergency telephone number is provided in all of our vehicles to call in case of emergency or breakdown. All efforts will be made to get you back on the road as quickly as possible. A replacement vehicle will be provided if necessary.

Is the windscreen covered by insurance?

The windscreen is not covered by insurance and is your responsibility - This includes chips to the screen.

What do I do about fuel?

All our vehicles will be supplied with some fuel. We will provide you with details of the nearest fuel station and ask that the vehicle is returned with the same amount. Any vehicle not returned with the same amount of fuel will be re-fuelled by us and charged to your card with the addition of an administration charge.

Can I take the vehicle abroad?

Yes, with our permission and the necessary documents you can travel into Europe.

I am travelling to London or surrounding areas, do I have to pay the congestion or Dartford Crossing?

Yes – You will have to pay any charges relating to the vehicle whilst on hire to you. For more information on ways to pay the Congestion charge visit

Please note if you do not pay the congestion charge a penalty charge notice (PCN) will be issued.

The PCN for Congestion Charge is currently (Oct 2012) issued at £130.00 and is discounted to £65.00 if paid promptly and within 14 days.

If you do not pay within 28 days, the penalty increases to £195.00. Failure to pay the £195.00 will result in registration of the debt with the County Court (and a court fee will apply).

For the Dartford Crossing visit - you must pay by midnight the day after you cross.

The PCN for the Dartford Crossing is currently (April 2015) issued at £70.00 and is discounted to £40.00 if paid promptly and within 14 days.

If you do not pay within 28 days, the penalty increases to £105.00. Failure to pay the £105.00 will result in registration of the debt with the County Court (and a court fee will apply).

If these fines are not paid, a warrant will be requested and issued to Bailiffs to recover the amounts due. For each PCN received we will issue a representation to the hirer along with a £25.00 + VAT administration fee.

Can another person drive the vehicle?

Only the person hiring the vehicle can drive our vehicles unless an additional driver has been added to the rental agreement at the time of hiring, with the permission of ourselves, and all relevant documentation for that driver is in order and correct. There is an additional daily charge for adding a second driver.

Can I book a vehicle and pay for it even if I won’t be the person picking it up and driving it?

Yes – However we will still require identification.

Can I pay for my rental with cash?

No – We only accept payment by credit and debit card.

How much will you take off my card when I collect the rental vehicle?

We will take the full estimated hire amount including VAT, any charges for additional drivers or accessories, and the £200.00 deposit upon collection of your rental vehicle as a pre authorisation only.

I have points on my license – can I still hire a vehicle?

A single minor offence should not affect you hiring a vehicle, although we have the right to refuse hiring to anyone with a recorded offence. If you are unsure call us with details of the driving conviction and we can check with our insurance company.

Can I bring my dog or other pet in the rental vehicle?

No – Unfortunately it is our policy not to allow pets in any of our rental vehicles. If we suspect an animal has been in one of our vehicles you may be liable for a valeting charge.

Can I smoke in the rental vehicle?

No – Smoking is strictly prohibited in all our rental vehicles and anyone suspected or found smoking will be liable to a cost for a full valet of the vehicle.

What happens if I want to extend the hire?

If you wish to keep the vehicle longer than the contracted period, you must contact us immediately as we have already have a commitment for this vehicle, we also need to amend the rental documents to comply with our insurers. If you are not available to sign the extension paperwork we will require email/written confirmation of the extended hire and we will take the additional hire charges from your card to cover the extended hire.

© 2019 RT Self Drive Ltd | All Rights Reserved | Website Design -